Ethereum Mist Wallet Review
The Ethereum Mist Wallet is one of the few wallets with support from the developers behind the Ethereum Network. The wallet has a design that enables its users to hold Ether. It is relatively easy to use although not the best option for beginners. Besides holding Ether, users can write smart contracts using the wallet. It is available as a desktop client.
Also called the Ethereum Mist Wallet, this wallet is recognized as the official wallet for ETH. Integrated into the Mist web browser, the wallet is built into the Ethereum blockchain. Users can interact with other Ethereum Dapps simply by connecting to this wallet.
Ethereum Mist Wallet has a unique design that places its users in full control of their funds. It does not store its users’ information. The wallet can also be used to hold other tokens issued on the Ethereum platform. In addition, it supports over 16 languages. This makes it a go-to-wallet for users from non-English speaking places.
In a bid to explore Dapps and the Ethereum network, the Ethereum Mist Wallet came into being. Most importantly, the team behind the wallet created the Ethereum network. As a result, the wallet gets deep updates to its interface.
Currently, the Ethereum Mist Wallet is only available for desktop. To interact with the wallet, users have to download and upload an encrypted version of their private keys. The user is in control of his/her funds, and not the wallet.
Unlike many other wallets, the Ethereum Mist Wallet can be a bit challenging to use. Users can choose from alternatives such as Trust Wallet. These wallets are close competitors that are even available on mobile. Other competitors include MetaMask and MyCrypto.
Ethereum Mist Wallet Supported Coins
Just as the name suggests, the Ethereum Mist Wallet supports Ether and any other Ethereum-based tokens.
To find out where you can obtain Ethereum and other Ethereum-based tokens in the first place, go to our Cryptocurrency Exchange List and use the filters to find the right exchange for you.
Ethereum Wallet Fees
You do not have to pay a fee for using the wallet. However, there are customary transaction fees for sending cryptocurrencies to other wallets. The charges vary, and the user gets notified before a transaction is carried out. You can also adjust your fees to suit you. It is important to note though that lower fees mean slower transactions.
The Shapeshift exchange integration enables users to add funds to their accounts and convert one digital asset to the other. The fees, in this case, will depend on the network fee of both wallets.
Ethereum Mist Wallet Price
The Ethereum Mist wallet is a full node wallet which is free to obtain and use. The Software or desktop wallet is available only for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux devices.
Ethereum Mist Wallet Ease of Use
Unlike many other desktop wallets, beginners will probably find it somewhat challenging to use the Ethereum wallet. However, it is easy to buy ether with US dollars or Bitcoin through the software. It is possible to set up the wallet via the following steps.
- Step 1: Download the latest release of the wallet. You will find it on
- Step 2: You will have to choose the best version for your PC on the list you find there.
- Step 3: After running the installer, wait for the Ethereum wallet to download. What this means is that you might have to download the entire Ethereum blockchain.
- Step 4: After the download, select the network of your choice. You will need to set a password that only you will be privy to. You must remember your selected password as the wallet does not retain user wallet details.
- Step 5: Create a strong password.
- Step 6: Send or receive ETH with your wallet.
Users might not find it easy to use the wallet at once. This is because the entire Ethereum blockchain must be downloaded first. It might take a long time for the wallet to get ready for use.
When it comes to anonymity, the Ethereum wallet is an acceptable choice. The wallet does not require any personal details from you before you can transact with it.
Since the wallet is built by the Ethereum blockchain developers, it gets regular updates. It is considered to be one of the most secure wallets for storing ETH. It has the following features:
- The user is in total control of his/her funds and private keys
- Password recovery is a tedious process for hackers to go through. You might also go through the same process if you do not write down your password.
- Multi-sig settings to help multiple account holders monitor wallet use
- Since the wallet is open-source, anyone can audit the code and highlight bugs. This way, they can avoid any security problems.
Where to buy Ethereum Mist Wallet?
It is an open-source software wallet. It is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. You can find it here: https://github.com/ethereum/mist/releases